What to do if the ClearSync 2 (CS2) Desktop is "Unable to Launch"
The "Unable to launch" error indicates that the installation of the ClearSync 2 Desktop application may have somehow become corrupted.
Though this is a relatively rare occurrence, there are many conditions that can cause it to occur. The most common condition is when the computer's version of Java has been recently updated.
This problem manifests itself in one or more of the following ways:
- Attempting to launch the ClearSync 2 Desktop application via the "ClearSync 2" shortcut icon on the Windows Desktop -or- from the Start > Programs > ClearSync 2 folder does not cause the application to load.
- The "ClearSync 2" shortcut "launch" icon disappears from the Windows Desktop.
- The "ClearSync 2" launch icon disappears from the Windows Start > Programs > ClearSync folder.
- The "ClearSync 2" folder disappears from the Windows Start > Programs menu list.
- Attempting to uninstall the CS2 DTA via the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility does not work.
- "ClearSync 2" is no longer listed as an installed application in the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility.
- "ClearSync 2" is no longer listed as an installed application in the ".Java Control Panel.
- The ClearSync "Download" web page will not recognize that a valid version of Java is installed on the computer.
Fix ClearSync 2 - Java Upgrade Problem
IMPORTANT Read these instructions before proceeding. You will need your ClearSync User name and Password. Contact ClearSync Support if you do not have this information.
Restoring the ClearSync 2 desktop (CS2DT) application to normal operations involves the following steps, which must be completed in order presented.
- Delete the CS2DT data files.
- Uninstall the CS2DT application.
- Remove the "JavaSoft > Prefs > clearsync" folder from the Windows Registry.
- Reinstall the CS2DT application.
Detailed instructions for each step follow.
Delete ClearSync 2 Desktop Data Files
IMPORTANT Before starting this procedure, ensure the Windows Explorer File Management is correctly configured. Configuration steps.
To delete the desktop data files:
- Use the Windows Explorer file management utility to navigate to:
Windows XP: c:\Documents and Settings\<Windows_User_Profile_Name>\Application Data\ClearSync
Windows 7 & Vista: c:\Users\<Windows_User_Profile_Name>\Appdata\Roaming\ClearSync
- In the <ClearSync> folder, there will be a single "working" ClearSync 2 Desktop data file for each ClearSync User Profile / Account Name that has been created, with naming structure:
- There may also be one or more <lock> files in the format:
NOTES: The <lock> file's purpose is to "lock" the main <xml> data file while the CS2 desktop application is running so that it cannot be "accidentally" deleted.
Under normal operations, the <lock> file is removed when the CS2 desktop application session is closed properly (by clicking the <X> in the upper right corner of the CS2 DTA window).
The presence of <lock> files when the CS2 desktop application is not running indicates that prior CS2 sessions were not closed properly.
- Delete the <xml> file and all <lock> files.
NOTE Not being able to successfully delete the <xml> file or any of the <lock> files indicates that thought the CS2 desktop application is not running at the user interface level, or that one or more of the application's program "threads" are still running at the system level. This state is caused by an abnormal closing of the CS2 desktop application. You can kill these "threads" either by rebooting the computer or by ending the process via the Windows Task Manager.
Uninstall ClearSync 2 Desktop Application
- Launch the Java Control Panel. Click the Windows Start button and select the Java entry from the list of Control Panel utilities.
- Click View in the "Temporary Internet Files" section of the General tab.
- Delete all instances of the ClearSync 2 application.
- Close the Java Control Panel.
Remove ClearSync 2 "Javasoft Prefs" Entry from Windows Registry
IMPORTANT It is essential that you are extremely careful in making edits to the Windows Registry. Making any changes other than those specified might cause your computer to no longer function properly.
- Click the Windows Start button and select Run.
- In the "Open" field, type the following, then click OK to load the Registry Editor:
- If any of the "HKEY_XXXXX" folders are open, click the "-" to the left of each open folder to "close" it (the folder "open" icon will change to "+" when the folder is closed).
- Single left-click My Computer to select it.
- From the Edit menu, select Find.
- In the Find What field, type the following:
- Click Find Next.
NOTE When the first instance of a "clearsync" related registry entry is found, the applicable folder will be highlit and opened.
- Press the <F3> key to repeat the "Find Next" action until the following folder is found:
- Left-click the clearsync folder and select Delete from the pop-up menu.
- Click Yes in the "Confirm Key Delete" dialog.
- Repeat steps 8-10 to find until the following folders are found and deleted:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows/CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\ClearSync 2
NOTE On some systems, either one or both of these entries may not have a current Registry entry.
- Press <F3> to continue searching for possible 2nd instances entries for the above folders. If they are found, delete them.
- When the "Finished searching through the registry" box appears, close it and then click the <X> in the upper right corner of the "Registry Editor" window to close the Editor.
- Shut down and restart the computer.
Reinstall ClearSync 2 Desktop Application
- Go to the <www.clearsync.com> home page and login to your Account
- Click the <Download> link.
- Click the <Download CS2 Now> link at the end of the ClearSync 2 Desktop Application section.
- Click the <Install> link to access the ClearSync 2 Desktop Installer <jnlp> file. Depending on how your browser's "Download Files" feature is configured, the download & install process will be automatically launched -or- your will be prompted to either Save (aka "Download") or Run (or "Open") the ClearSync2.jnlp install file.
- If you download the CS2DT install file, double-click the downloaded file to run the "ClearSync 2 Desktop Application Installer".
- Enter the applicable ClearSync "User Name" & "Password" when prompted at the end of the installation process.
NOTE The calendars and contacts associated with the ClearSync User Account currently stored on the ClearSync Server will be downloaded to the computer and be displayed in and accessible via the ClearSync 2 Desktop application.