The ClearSync 1 Desktop Viewer is the original application developed for Windows PCs as a companion to the ClearSync for Palm OS applications.
In addition to being able to run on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux / Unix computers as both a "standalone" desktop application (no Internet connection required) and also as an online PC-based browser application, ClearSync 2 provides the following functionality not found in the CS1 Desktop Viewer:
- As frequently as approximately once every minute for ClearSync Gold users
- Every 12 hours for Silver users
- Manual syncs can be generated at any time
- Import and Export of iCalendar <ics> calendars and <csv> contact data.
- Export is currently a "hidden" -- but very useable -- feature because it is still a work in progress. See the "How do I Export ClearSync Calendars and Contacts" topic for instructions on how to access & use it.
- Automatic software updates
Note that while the first generation of the ClearSync 2 application does not include event alarms, and some of the calendar display and print formatting options that the ClearSync 1 Desktop Viewer provides, these capabilities are slated to be added the major CS2 upgrade planned for late summer / early Fall 2011.
Note also that the two applications are not mutually exclusive and can co-reside on any compatible Windows-based PC.